Obituary:  April 1936

One of the first Merchants to set up an Establishment on the Gogebic Range was Mr. R. Paul. proprietor of the largest store in Hurley. The Paul Clothing and Shoe Company and the Paul Dry Goods Company.

Mr. Paul was born Jan. 1. 1863 in Germany and came to America at the age of three with his family. They settled at first in Marathon County. When 12 years old, the boy entered the employ of the Heinemann Brothers. a general sore in Wausau, Here he worked until 1886 and then came to Hurley as a partner of Sol. Heinemann in a newly established store.
In 1887. the store was destroyed by the great Fire which virtually wiped out the whole business district.
Later on. the business was moved to the Eagles' Building at the corner of Silver Street and Third Avenue, and. in a few years Mr. Paul bought out Mr. Heinemann's interest in the establishment.

Much Good
for His City

The Story of R. Paul

n 1900. the store was moved to the location now occupied by the Paul Clothing and Shoe Company. and in 1910 Mr. Paul pur chased two buildings to the west, tore them down. and built the store now occupied by the Paul Dry Goods Company. The business occupies the lower floor and basement, and the second floor is devoted to office space and the Masonic lodge hall.

There are about 20 employees at the Paul Store. One of these. Mr. M. E. Downs, has had a record of service with this concern of 45 years. Two others. Miss Hilma Johnson and Mr. Lao Erspamer. have been with the company for 37 years.

In 1872. two corporations were formed. at which
time Mr. Paul took into the business several of his em ployees.

Mr. Paul was one of the most ambitious men in Hurley in his work for the worthwhile organizations of his community. He served on the township board from 1919 to 1917.

During the World War, he served on the draft board and also was chairman for Iron County of the war saving stamp drive. In addition. Mr. Paul was a member of the library board and always took a keen nterest in the welfare of the American Legion and the Northland Sports Club.

He was compelled by falling health to give up active work in 1929. and on May 22. 1930. he died.