History of Hurley Wisconsin 1888
as printed in the 1888
Gogebic Range Mining & Business Directory
Situated on the West bank of the Montreal River, in Ashland Co., Wisconsin, just opposite from the Village of Ironwood, Michigan is the thriving and famous little town of Hurley. Although but 3 years ago, forests covered the spot where it now stands and the name of Hurley, as a city, was unknown, today its name is famous the country over, and it is a beautiful and growing town.
Its future is not certain, its past is a history of struggles and success. Twice almost wiped out of existence by disastrous fires, Phoenix like it has sprung up again, and its new growth far surpasses its former in beauty and strength. Its location is an admiral one, and well adapted for building a fine city.
It is also advantageously located on the range, and is beyond doubt, the business center of the Gogebic Range. Here a large number of the heavy mining companies have their offices and do their business.
It was platted in the year 1882, and began its growth at once. Its advantages soon commanded the attention of those coming on the Range to settle, and seemed to attract a pushing and energetic class of business men, who, believing in the future of their infant town, spared no effort to advance its interests, this has been a characteristic feature of the place from the start, and the result has been to place it at the head. Another thing that has aided greatly to make Hurley what it is, is the fine hotel accommodation it offers in the Burton House, one of the finest hotels in the Nortwest. The business interests are solid and extensive.
Among the heaviest firms are Hill, Palmer, Stacy, Heinemann Bros & Co., Miners' Co.- operative Mercantile Company, Charles E. Paeske, Ragan Bros., C.H. Hammersley & Co., Gogebic Meat and Provision Co., Hohmann & Voight, Brill & Langdon, A.J. Agnew, Fedler & Beebe, and A.R. Lord & Co. The Hurley Iron Works owned by C.E. Seymour, is a large plant where all kinds of mining machinery is manufactured.
The banking business is represented by the Iron Exchange Bank, a well known institution doing a large business over the entire range. The place supports 2 thriving weekly newspapers … the Tribune, and the Montreal River Miner.
They are well edited sprightly newspapers that believe in their town and take every opportunity to bring it to the attention of the public. Hurley has every public improvement of modern times that a place of its size could have. Its streets are well drained, well graded, and covered with the hard jasper rocks taken from the mines nearby.
The city is lighted by electricity, with the Brush electric light system. There is a fine system of water works and a well organized fire department. During the past summer Hurley was twice visited by terrible fires. The first occured on June 28th and the second on July 9th. These fires destroyed almost the entire business portion of the city, and at first it was thought that they would prove a crushing blow to its prosperity, but later events have proven that they were blessings.
The wonderful pluck and energy of its business men were fully demonstrated when they at once began the erection of fine brick buildings in the place of the wooden ones destroyed. The result has been that the burned portion has been rebuilt with brick and stone, making them near fire-proof and Silver Street is one that a much larger city could well be proud of. With so many improvements and fine buildings, so advantageous a location, and such energetic citizens, its future is assured.
Town Officers and Employees
Chairman- A.J. Trimble
Treasurer- Charles E. Paeske
Clerk- John Ankers
Supervisors- C.H. Hammersley, John F. Sullivan
Justices- R.C. Murry, J.C.Jones Jr., George A. Alexander
Marshal- James E. Sullivan
Deputy Sheriff- T. Harrinton
Deputy Marshall- N.M. Brooks
Patrolmen- Samuel Swanson, Dan Young
PUBLIC SCHOOL DEPARTMENT
Director- James Doran
Clerk- John Ankers
Tresurer- Robert McFerran
Principal- George B. Riley
Miss N. Edwards.,
Miss L. Somers.,
Miss J. Nickelson.,
Miss Ada Thomas.